<< Home > << South Africa and the BRICS
South Africa and the BRICS
The head of SAIIAâ€™s Economic Diplomacy Programme Catherine Grant speaks to Talk Radio 702â€™s Redi Tlhabi about what South Africaâ€™s brings to the BRICS grouping and whether there are other economies with much more to offer.
Browsing All Episodes:
- SAIIA Podcast 20: BRICS, Brazil and Africa
- The South African Institute of International Affairs recently held a two-day meeting called "BRICS and Africa: A Partnership for Sustainable Development." Our Brazilian partners from the BRICS Policy Centre joined the discussions on the political, economic and security issues related to Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa or the BRICS group of emerging countries.
We used the opportunity to speak to Paulo Esteves who is the General Supervisor at Brazilâ€™s BRICS Policy Centre and Head of the International Relations Institute at the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro. 2014 is a big year for Brazil. This football-crazy country will be hosting the FIFA World Cup in June. But before that, it hosts the BRICS heads of state summit in March. We asked Paulo:
1. In 2013, South African hosted the BRICS summit and pushed for clarity on the BRICS Development Bank and incorporated what was called the â€˜Africa Agendaâ€™. What is the next natural step for Brazil as they play host?
2. What progress has been made on the BRICS bank?
3. Before the BRICS, there was the IBSA (India, Brazil and South Africa) forum. How has the BRICS influenced engagement between South Africa and Brazil within IBSA?
This is number 20 in a series of video interviews by the South African Institute of International Affairs (SAIIA). For the full list of podcasts and video interviews visit http://www.saiia.org.za
- SAIIA Podcast Episode 6: South Africa and the BRICS
- In March 2012, South Africa attended its second summit as a member of the exclusive group of emerging economies known as the BRICS. While itâ€™s Africaâ€™s biggest economy, many wonder what makes South Africa eligible to join Brazil, Russia, India and China as a member of this influential club of developing markets. The head of SAIIAâ€™s Economic Diplomacy Programme Catherine Grant speaks to Talk Radio 702â€™s Redi Tlhabi about what South Africaâ€™s brings to the BRICS grouping and whether there are other economies with much more to offer. SAIIA would like to thank Talk Radio 702 (www.702.co.za) for making this podcast available.