<< Home > << Africa and the G20
Africa and the G20
Interviews and insights into how what happens at the G20 impacts Africa.
- SAIIA Online Briefing: G20 2013: What to expect?
- In this special series of podcasts we focus on the upcoming Group of 20 or G20 summit to be held in St Petersburg Russia on the 5 and 6 September 2013.
SAIIA speaks to Peter Draper, Senior Research Fellow with SAIIA's Economic Diplomacy Programme, about what to expect from this year's G20 Summit. The questions we asked included:
1) You were invited to what was called the Think20 last year ahead of Russia hosting the G-20 this year. Tell us about the Think20 and what it aims to do?
2) As we look ahead towards the G-20 summit in Russia, many are questions about the legitimacy and effectiveness of trying to managing global economic issues through the G-20. What is at the root of this debate?
3) Your expertise is the multilateral trade system and you have many times declared the Doha Development Round all but dead. What is the role of the G-20 (if it has a role at all) in resuscitating the Doha Agenda/negotiations at the World Trade Organization?
4) As we look ahead at the G-20 summit in St. Petersburg in September, what are some of the things you think will emerge at the G-20 summit?
This is part of a special series of G20 video interviews by the South African Institute of International Affairs (SAIIA). For the full list of SAIIA podcasts and video interviews visit http://www.saiia.org.za/type/multimedia